Monday, December 10, 2007

paperwhites and other rituals

One of my holiday rituals is an annual trip to Strosnider's Hardware in Bethesda for paperwhite bulbs (KW ~ I miss you!). Strosnider's is one of those old-fashioned hardware stores, which carries everything from wrenches to wrapping paper (and all sorts of things you didn't know you needed, but can't live without). Anyway, what I love is that the paperwhite bulbs are loose in a large wooden crate, and you have to count out however many you want and put them in a paper bag. Usually I go right after Thanksgiving, but this year I didn't make it there until this past weekend, and I was seriously scraping the bottom of the crate. But I got my usual dozen ~ soon to be planted in a random assortment of vintage bulb dishes. This photo is from the farmers' market yesterday ~ a sneak peek at what I have to look forward to! Funny, these little holiday rituals...would love to know some of yours!

Here are a couple other things I enjoyed this past weekend:

* Séguy textile designs (more needlework inspiration!)
* Wintersong (so peaceful and lovely, sigh...)

2 comments:

Pigtown*Design said...

Ohhhh... me, too! I think that the smell reminds me of the holidays. I am getting some for my deep windowsill at the office and some for home.

And Strosniders! Great place.

Style Court said...

my favorite christmas flower :) just frustrated that i never quite get a martha stewart mass going on at one time. and mine always flop over too.