Friday, March 23, 2007

trouvée: apple blossoms

"How fair is a garden amid the trials and passions of existence."
~ Benjamin Disraeli (1881)

I found this photograph in Maine a couple summers ago. It is printed on postal card. Took me a while to figure out the inscription ~ “with New Years wishes” ~ I can’t make out the rest. But the apple trees are in bloom.

Happy Friday!


Blissville said...

Maybe all Maine gardens look alike. Maybe we see only what we want to see. But I could swear it looks like Brooke Astor's garden in Northeast Harbor.

Janet said...

Yes, there is something about Maine Gardens. Would love to think this is Brooke Astor's. I wonder if it was ever featured in House & Garden. Will have to do a little research...hmmm.

convergence said...

New feet within my garden go,
New fingers stir the sod;
A troubadour upon the elm
Betrays the solitude.

New children play upon the green,
New weary sleep below;
And still the pensive spring returns,
And still the punctual snow!

E. Dickinson

Janet said...

Oh, I love to see what these photographs inspire. Thank you for the Dickinson poem ~ it strikes a perfect note.