Monday, August 4, 2008

attingham: the houses: petworth

Week 1 favorites ~ Petworth ~ the one time haunt of J.M.W. Turner. Lest you think that all I did was wander through rose gardens...I give you Petworth. Not the most impressive of houses from the exterior...but the interior with its wonderful art collection, carvings by Grinling Gibbons, and classic enfilade of rooms, made my heart beat a little faster. Looking back through my notes, I have pages and pages dedicated to Petworth, almost singularly on Turner. For me, I think one of the greatest thrills was visiting the Old Library, which the artist used as his studio ~ stuffed full of dusty books and generally not open to the public. Must see: Turner at Petworth.

6 comments:

Pigtown*Design said...

remind me to tell you my turner story the next time i see you (hopefully soon!)

Anonymous said...

Petworth was my favorite house!
Grand and formal - KDM

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the info on Turner, I hadn't realized that. I love your blog because not only is it visually spectacular, it's also always so educational. Fans of Turner should see the exhibition currently at the Met! ~MIR

ArchitectDesign™ said...

I love that enfilade picture!

Style Court said...

No now I think the enfilade and this floor is my favorite.

Things That Inspire said...

I saw the Turner exhibit at the Tate Britain...absolutely exquisite. I am off to investigate Petworth, I am not familiar with it. Wonderful post!