Thursday, September 18, 2008

inspiration: wedgwood

It has been a while since I did an "inspiration" post. So, as I find my apartment at long last coming together (the contractor put in the last piece of molding yesterday!), I am searching for color. Having spent my entire adult life living in rentals with plain white walls, it is a joy to finally be able to pull paint-color chips. But overwhelming too! I so admire people who fearlessly use bold color. But my eye is drawn to something more subtle...and when you have only 502 square feet of space, a lot of color can be glaring. Looking through my folders, I came across these images, which I pilfered from the NYPL digital library (you can see more here). Wedgwood, of course. Love those grays and creams...with spots of soft blue, lime green, and mustard yellow. A perfect palette. Okay...now it's time to go pick up a paint brush.


(images: Old Wedgwood, 1898, New York Public Library)

4 comments:

Pigtown*Design said...

Ohhh.. you should be able to find a great shade with Wedgwood!

Anonymous said...

Always knew you were a women with discriminating taste.

Anonymous said...

The apartment looks wonderful...and I know you will choose the perfect colors! cgb

Anonymous said...

I suspect you already know this but Ralph Lauren paints has a range of colors - I think called whitewash - that would suit well for Wedgwood colors. The line is particularly good with the blues, greens, and grays of Wedgwood. It even has that wonderful shocking robin egg blue. Also, plenty of creamy, chalky whites too.