Friday, February 18, 2011

dreaming of england

"The budding twigs spread out their fan, To catch the breezy air. . . " (from William Wordsworth, Lines Written in Early Spring, 1798).

I am still sorting through lots of photographs and notes from London, and will have more to share. However, I am off on another work trip next week, so posting may be spotty in the near future. In the mean time, Anglophiles on this side of the pond may be pleased to hear that you don't have to cross an ocean to enjoy a bit of England:

* The Enchantress: Emma, Lady Hamilton, opened this week at the Grolier Club in New York
* Thomas Lawrence: Regency Power and Brilliance, opens next week at the Yale Center for British Art in New Haven
* and fresh off her own trip to London, EEE comes to Washington with “Mirror, Chrome & Gin Fizz: Art Deco in Britain” ~ a talk by Emily Evans Eerdmans, March 1, 7:15pm, at the National Trust for Historic Preservation (presented by the Institute for Classical Architecture and the Royal Oak Society) . . . I have my tickets!

Have a wonderful weekend (a long one for many Stateside).

Cheers!

7 comments:

Reggie Darling said...

Thanks for the heads up on the Lawrence show at Yale, which I must make a trip to see. I enjoyed seeing your fun on the Treasure Hunt blog. It makes Reggie rather jealous as he's dying to go to London soon.

Janet said...

Oh too funny Reggie, I was leaving a comment on your blog, just as you left this on mine! London is too me, quite honestly, the perfect city. Am dying to see the Lawrence show. I will be in CT this week, leaving just the day it opens! Argh.

Anonymous said...

You make me happy! KDM

Janet said...

Ahhhh, KDM ~ a true Anglophile if ever I met one.

ArchitectDesign™ said...

oh drat...i was just in NY and didn't know about the Hamilton exhibit!

Sunday Taylor said...

Anglophiles can also enjoy some recent books: "Wait for Me" by Deborah Mitford, Duchess of Devonshire and "Must You Go" by Antonia Fraser. Also, a wonderful new drama on Masterpiece Theater, "Any Human Heart." I am a first time visitor to your blog and really enjoyed what I read. My daughter is getting married in June and I enjoyed learning about your wedding. Loved the quote from Wordsworth!

Janet said...

Stefan ~ the show just opened, so you have time! Unfortunately, I didn't make it this trip either.

Sunday Taylor ~ Welcome! And thank you for the additional suggestions. Masterpiece Theater never fails to delight. Good luck with the wedding plans, and enjoy every moment. It all goes by so quickly!!!