Monday, April 4, 2011

spring forward

I always marvel at the transition from winter to spring. It is the roughest of all I think. Last week was cold and rainy, and positively dreary here in Washington ~ culminating in a wild day of weather on saturday: rain, thunder, hail, wind, torrential downpours, and more thunder, finally ushering in some sun and softer air. Winter is so very stubborn.

Every morning on my way to work, I pass a little Japanese maple tree and a funny pink building (do you remember these raindrops?). This morning I noticed some shiny new leaves and little red buds. So, perhaps we have sprung forward. . . for real!

Simply beautiful (I can't stop staring):

* Kate Headley in India
* Emily Shur in Japan
* and some Saarinen

Happy monday!

5 comments:

Emile de Bruijn said...

I like Emily Shur's photographs: quietly powerful.

Janet said...

Emile ~ it is the simplicity of her work that I love. Glad you liked her photographs too.

Gretchen said...

The transition of this time of year is always full of surprises. Which I love. And such a delight to spy those harbingers of the warmth to come.

Mr. Inkslinger said...

Dear JCB,who was that marvelous printer in Maineyopu hired to do some of the printing for the wedding? I'd like to get the Inkslingers proper visiting cards, and I prefer supporting talent here in the northeast.
Your wedding announcement is beautiful. Happy anniversary!

Janet said...

Mr. Inkslinger ~ we used William Arthur for our wedding invitations, based in Kennebunk, Maine. They have some really nice personalized stationery and calling cards: http://www.williamarthur.com/