Thursday, July 7, 2011

along the coast


I have to admit I miss the old wooden lobster pots. They are a relic from another age I suppose, now widely replaced with wire mesh. The half-barrel, wooden trap is said to have originated on Cape Cod in 1810, and served the east coast fishermen well for nearly two centuries. The new traps made an appearance about 10 years ago, and are far more efficient (lobsters having figured out how to escape the old ones!). Hard to argue with that.

More from Maine tomorrow.

Happy thursday.

5 comments:

JBR said...

At least you made the wire mesh pots look great!

ArchitectDesign™ said...

Oh those delicous but tricky, tricky lobsters! I had no idea they were that intelligent ;-)

Janet said...

JBR ~ yeah, they're not bad. But the wooden ones ROCK.

Stefan ~ who knew, huh? I guess after 200 years, word gets around the crustacean community. . .

The Down East Dilettante said...

Oh Janet, indeed the loss of the old homemade wooden traps induces nostalgia. It seemed to happen all at once, and had me rubbing my eyes in disbelief. They just lack the romance of the old ones---although your marvelous photo says otherwise

Tei Shi said...

Thank you for writingg this