Tuesday, July 26, 2011

the peach

When peach season arrives I pretty much drop all other fruits. I will not buy a peach at any other time of the year. They have to be local. So when they're in season, I go crazy. I find a way to sneak peaches into everything. Add them into salads. Or by themselves with a little balsamic vinegar, some olive oil, sea salt, pepper, some basil, and a sprinkle of feta ~ divine. Grilled peaches and shrimp with curry and honey. Peach crisp, peach pie, peach tarts. . . and omg, peaches with blue cheese.

Ahhh. . . the peach:

* Georgia peaches
* peach gnocchi

Yum! I'm off to Maine tomorrow. . . where I hear blueberries are in season (okay, so I am fickle).

Cheers.

8 comments:

Barbara Wells Sarudy said...

Fruit fickle is allowed...

home before dark said...

This afternoon I'm making peach salsa (like mango but with peaches) great with smoked/grilled chicken and pork. Will try the vinegar on peaches. Already love balsamic on strawberries...hummm peaches+strawberries+balsamic vinegar on ice cream?

JBR said...

Doesn't dropping that much fruit make a mess?

Janet said...

Barbara ~ summer has that effect.

hbd ~ oh, that all sounds good. Really, peaches are the best. The balsamic is amazing!!!

JBR ~ it can, depending on how much fruit one has. . .

LINDA from Each Little World said...

Alas, in Wisconsin you only find local peaches if you have a tree in your backyard. Michigan are good if you can find them or even Ontario. Nothing beats a local peach in season. I am definitely jealous!

ArchitectDesign™ said...

forget DC peaches -the best ones i've ever had I had last weekend in the hamptons - still warm from the sun off the trees. AMAZING

christine said...

One of my favorite things in the world is my sister's peach-blueberry cobbler. Mmmmmmm... Sounds like you might be a fan as well!

Janet said...

Ms. Wis ~ I'd send you a crate if I could!

Stefan ~ nothing beats a peach straight off the tree! Wonderful!

Christine ~ well, now we're talking, peaches and blueberries. Perfection.