Tuesday, June 26, 2007

the streets of jaffa

On Saturdays the normally bustling streets of Jaffa are deserted in observance of the Sabbath, so one can wander undisturbed. It is amazing to think about all of the history of the place ~ fought over for centuries, by the Egyptians (in 1472 BC), Alexander the Great (in the 4th century BC), the Arabs (in 636), the Crusaders (in the 12th century), the Ottomans (in the 17th century), Napoléon (in 1799), the British (during World War I), and most recently by Arabs and Jews (in 1947/1948). An extraordinary legacy. It is now a quiet port city known for its export of oranges, its picturesque streets, and its many art galleries. And yet, its dramatic past lingers under the surface...


2 comments:

Unknown said...

I absolutely adore these photographs. The interplay of the bulbs with the street lamp globes. The turquoise. I love it. Can I get copies.

Anonymous said...

I could fall in love with Jaffa!