The last day of the year is always such a strange day...and for some reason, it always makes me feel slightly unsettled. I much prefer new year's day, which always feels so fresh and full of possibilities. And generally I do not make resolutions...or at least not very realistic ones. But this year, I resolve to cook more at home (there's a big pot of spicy chili waiting at home for me tonight) ~ and to read more. In 2008, I read much less than I normally do and I am not sure why. But, I am off to a good start, armed with a pile of new books:
* The Heretic's Daughter by Kathleen Kent (which I just finished and thoroughly enjoyed)
* A Stopover in Venice by Kathryn Walker (who can resist a bit of gothic romance?)
* The Seamstress by Frances De Pontes Peebles (an epic winter read)
* Esther's Inheritance by Sandor Márai
* and a beat up old copy of The Scarlet Letter (unearthed while moving the apartment)
And you all...? I wish you all peace and joy in whatever you do!