Friday, November 13, 2009

trouvée: a portrait

I immediately went digging for this photograph after reading David Colman's piece on men's fashion in The New York Times. Another find from Michigan ~ mounted on card and inscribed: "11 Marshall St." Father and son...or perhaps brothers?

Some bits and bobs (of a less respectable sort):

* an extraordinary archive of mugshots
* including the bite
* with more here (because I could go through them for hours)

And on subject of collecting ~ I thought this was an interesting article.

Have a great weekend! I am off to Philadelphia.

8 comments:

greer said...

love the mugs! enjoy philly - i miss home.

pve design said...

Quite a collection of interesting items - that bite mark is a hoot and I love the hair parted down the middle.
pve

(IN)DECOROUS TASTE said...

Wow, that's really interesting- mug shots as art. I can definitely see the appeal, as I've often marveled at how much character and emotion (granted, often horror, fear, and defeat) there's to be had in some of those shots.

Thanks for all of these fascinating commentaries on collecting!

Lauren

The romantic query letter and the happy-ever-after said...

I’m reminded each time I visit your blog how a passion well expressed can inspire. Thanks for sharing, all the very best and a lovely weekend.

LINDA from Each Little World said...

Excellent piece on collecting. We have a mug shot from the 1920s from a bunch of police photos that were apparently discarded.

Janet said...

Thank you all...I am so glad you liked the links, as I wasn't sure what people would think of my macabre obsession. But, I do find them fascinating.

Ms. Wis. ~ what a treasure! Incidentally, I was at the Pennsylvania Academy of Arts over the weekend and there was a great series of mug shots on display in the works on paper gallery. So apropos I thought!

Abby said...

Props to Michigan!!

Daniel Shigo said...

It could also have read "or lovers." There is ample scholarship in 'men together' photographs as evidenced by the book "Dear Friends: American Photographs of Men Together 1840-1918 by David Deitcher". I have a few tintypes myself from the NYC flea market.

Really like your blog and its design. Beautiful!