Tuesday, January 19, 2010

the lady is a muse

My dear EEE ~

When I heard the news of your nuptials (fait accompli), I was thrilled. However, when Mrs. Blandings followed by announcing a shower in your honor, I admit to more than a few pangs of anxiety. What, after all, do you give the divine Ms. EEE, whose sense of style and sophistication is par excellent? Lucky for me (or should I say, you), there is a fabulous round of winter auctions. Goodness everywhere ~ fabulous English silver from Christie's Newton House sale (no, too predictable), or a gorgeous enameled tea caddy from the Elinor Gordon Collection at Sotheby's (hmmm...still not quite right). And then I saw it. A quietly elegant piece, no more than a whisper on paper: a pencil and ink drawing by George Romney of a female muse and her male admirer.

Because, your gentleman has found his muse. May you always inspire each other so.

xo, JCB

10 comments:

Style Court said...

J -- I spent a lot of time with the Elinor Gordon catalog too :) Your choice is perfect.

home before dark said...

Loved the "no more than a whisper on paper." An elegant choice with much meaning and heartfelt blessings. And aren't words, the medium of the madame, often whispers as well? Nicely done, JCB.

La Petite Gallery said...

Very interesting Post.
I shall return.

yvonne

Mrs. Blandings said...

Beautiful. And perfect.

The Down East Dilettante said...

Elegant.

pve design said...

I have a big birthday coming and I must ask my "muse" to read your blog. You always have such elegant and amusing finds.
EEE will be thrilled.
pve

Emily Evans Eerdmans said...

O Janet, a few magical strokes of the pen and that fleet-footed lady Elegance is captured. A transporting gift indeed!

P.Gaye Tapp at Little Augury said...

This is so lovely-gift and sentiments. Well done,as always. pgt

Home Subjects said...

*swoon*

BigLittleWolf said...

The seeming spontaneity of the Romney drawing is wonderful. I am often surprised by how much I prefer a study or sketch (or pencil and ink drawing) to more staid compositions in oil.

Lovely.