Thursday, May 10, 2007

ode to edme (1908 - 2006)


I just discovered that my Wedgwood china pattern, Edme, which has been in continuous production since 1908, was discontinued last year. Edme was my grandmother’s wedding china, and was passed down to my mother when I was a child ~ and then recently on to me. Over the years pieces have been broken or chipped, so I have spent the last couple years replacing them (and adding fabulous new pieces like my much-loved teapot). Of course, I never actually bought any new new pieces ~ I found things at flea markets, antique malls, and on the ubiquitous ebay. But somehow, knowing that Wedgwood no longer manufactures it makes me sad. Classic patterns like the Queen’s Ware and Nantucket, have been discontinued in favor of new lines by Jasper Conran (which I admit is pretty wonderful), Vera Wang, and Kelly Hoppen. Perhaps I am just a traditionalist at heart ~ but it is hard to see these good things come to an end!

P.S. I am too much of a sentimentalist to actually get rid of any of the chipped and broken pieces, so they sit nestled in a box in storage.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

That is sad. Dear Wedgwood, Why stop doing what you do best - to try to do what others do better? KDM

Anonymous said...

Wedgwood is bringing Edme back Summer-Fall 2008. 100th anniversary edition.

From Wedgwood:

"There is a difference between the new and old Edme dinnerware. The new Edme dinnerware is antique White, it has a sophisticated shapes, some of the accessory pieces have a design around the rim.

The new Edme pattern was recently introduced,it will be available to purchase in the fall."