Friday, May 4, 2007

trouvée: tourada

I was a little hesitant to post this image of a bullfight in Lima, Peru, circa 1925 ~ but however you feel about bullfighting, I think this is an incredible photograph. I love the abstract pattern created by the shadows, and the fantastic composition ~ the pole slicing through the jagged line of the shadow, the two men in hats on the lower right, and the bull and matador poised mid confrontation in the upper left. I think this was probably taken at the Plaza de Anco, one of the oldest bullrings in South America, dating back to 1766. Interestingly, I found this photograph at an antique mall in Maine several years ago. It is printed on postal card, but does not have any inscriptions, other than the date (which I suspect was added later).

Wishing you all a lovely weekend! Cheers!

No comments: