Monday, May 5, 2008

an afternoon in finland

One of my favorite Washington buildings is the Finnish Embassy. I drive past it all the time, but until this past weekend, I had never actually been inside. On Saturday I took advantage of the EU Embassies' annual open house to pay a visit and see it up close. Its simple constructivist exterior is softened by a bronze trellis covered by lush green vines, and inside (no photos allowed) is a lovely mixture of glass, metal and wood with soothing views of leafy trees. And until June 8, there is a wonderful exhibition of photographs and models of Finnish architects' summer homes.

P.S. I also adored the Danish Embassy residence, which was built in the late 1950s and is furnished with a mixture of 18th-century Danish antiques and mid-century modern furniture and art. (There was a strict no-photography policy, so just think Arne Jacobsen "swan" chairs...).

2 comments:

Pigtown*Design said...

I wish I'd known about the Embassy Open Houses. That must have been so interesting. I heard that there was the Flower Mart at the National Cathedral yesterday, too... So much happening!

Anonymous said...

I'm a huge DC fan and will stop in next time I'm in town. Thanks!