Friday, July 2, 2010

from vine to table



Well, if the hot weather is good for anything, it is tomatoes!

Hurrah! Our first summer salad of roof-top tomatoes (a medley of "Lemon Boy," "Cherokee," "Ace 55," and "Early Girl"). Served with local Virginia mozzarella, a healthy drizzle of Balsamic vinegar, olive oil, and a dash of salt and pepper. The fruits of our labor (literally). We shared them with our neighbors, along with homemade mint mojitos, cucumber salad tossed with lemon juice and dill, penne with spicy tomato sauce, and stuffing balls with corn, sage and rosemary. All the herbs came from the roof garden.

I hope you have something lovely planned for the weekend. Happy July 4th to my American friends! I'll be back next week with more from the Netherlands.

12 comments:

Blue said...

So, if I dropped in around tomato salad time ...... ? Perhaps brought a bottle or two ....?

Your Dutch photos have been such a pleasure to me and I thank you for them.

Janet said...

Blue ~ you are always welcome. But definitely bring two bottles of wine. Glad you have enjoyed the Dutch photographs. There are more to come.

Home Subjects said...

Looks scrumptious!

ArchitectDesign™ said...

how satisfying to have grown them yourselves! I'm sure that was a fun roof party :-)

Karena said...

Wonderful! Home grown are the best! So nice when the flavor is so enticing.

Karena
Art by Karena

Janet said...

Anne ~ yes. I forgot to add how divine they were.

AD ~ we always have fun on the roof. I do believe you are due for a visit.

Karena ~ nothing is better than home grown. Have a great weekend!

Gretchen said...

I gasped when I saw your first picture, thinking, oh my is this from her new garden?! How very exciting. I need to come visit this summer for the grand tour.

Happy 4th to you too, my dear. Let's catch up soon!

smilla4blogs said...

Bravo! And I'm sure EVERYONE was happy with the fruits of your labor and the delicious outcome! The salad looks divine and I don't even want to think about how good those mojitos tasted!

Wish we could be together for the 4th...xoxo

pve design said...

Yesterday, at the market, I bought yellow, orange and red maters....made fresh gazpacho, mozzarella and tomato and basil, and a mess of pesto....
wish you were here for a taste of summer.
Happy 4th.
pve

home before dark said...

Looks de-vine. Such home-grown deliciousness. Happy fourth.

LINDA from EACH LITTLE WORLD said...

Pretty impressive harvest! And lovely menu as usual. We're enjoying hot weather, fireworks, brats and beer — a perfect Wisconsin holiday.

Abby said...

I just brought home my first little tomato plant ever! I decided to go with a prestarted potted version for my first step into homegrown. Hope mine make as yummy looking of a dish as yours.